Holidays with our four-legged friends - an update on pet travel

Currently dogs, cats and ferrets can travel to the EU using the Pet Passport Scheme. This means pets are issued a passport from an official Veterinarian (OV). The passport certifies the rabies vaccination status of the pet and microchip identification number. It also details parasite treatment that is mandatory to re-enter the United Kingdom. This needs to be given 24-120 hours before returning the the UK.

The worry is that Pet passports may become invalid depending on the outcome of Brexit. The government have published advice for the "worst-case scenario” post Brexit. This includes the potential requirement of a rabies vaccine, followed by a blood test 30 days later.

Providing that this blood test demonstrates adequate immunity, the pet would then be allowed to travel 3 months after the blood test was taken. In these cases, an animal health certificate (AHC) would be provided rather than a Pet Passport. This would be valid for travel for up to 10 days after issuing, with re-entry to the UK for 4 months after the date of issuing.

This would mean owners would need to begin this process at least 4 months before they plan to travel!

If you are planning to travel with your pet in the next 12 months then it would be a good idea to have a chat with one of our vets about what might be required. You can visit to keep yourself updated with the current scheme and future plans.

Recent Posts

See All

COVID-19 Update - We are still here for your pets

4th November 2020 - We want to reassure you that as providers of essential animal health services we will continue to remain open throughout the next lockdown period, including our 24 hour overnight c

Receptionist Required - Applications Closed

Donnington Grove Veterinary Group is one of the largest independent vets in the area. We have three practices based in Newbury, Thatcham and Tadley which means we have a large client base as well as m

DGSA Logo 1.png
Thatcham 01635 868382  // 
Tadley 0118 981 5500 
Subscribe to Our Newsletter
  • Donnington Grove Vets
  • Donnington Grove Vets

Donnington Grove Veterinary Group Limited (trading as Donnington Grove Veterinary Group) is a limited company registered in England and Wales. Registration Number: 08545050 Registered Office: Donnington Grove Veterinary Surgery, Oxford Road, Newbury, Berkshire RG14 2JB. VAT Number: 169 2245 92

©️ 2020 Donnington Grove Veterinary Group Limited  |  Site by Big Dog Design